Wednesday 26 June 2013

10 Ways to Deal with Mishaps from the Queen Herself by Jodi Crane

Believe me when I say, I am the Queen of Mishaps. My life resembles that of Alexander in the children’s book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, far more than I like. For example, I have twisted both ankles, broken a foot and a finger, and gotten stitches on my chin twice. And I’m not even a physical risk taker.

Here’s what I’ve learned along the way.

1. Slow down. You are more likely to experience a mishap when you are in a hurry.
2. Take a deep breath. Your brain will need oxygen so you can think clearly. Plus you will feel better. Now take another breath. You probably need it.
3. Allow yourself to feel your feelings. Don’t push them aside or even worse, tell yourself you shouldn’t feel what you feel. I’m not saying to act on your emotions. No road rage please.
4. Curse if you must, out loud or in your head. It relieves tension. I read somewhere that research supports this idea. For reals. Just please don’t do it with young children around.
5. Now let those feelings go. Balloons up into the sky. A newspaper sailboat you float down a creek. Imagine waving bye.
6. Know that sh*t happens. Don’t assign meaning to the experience or overanalyze it. You aren’t being punished and you don’t have bad karma even if it might feel like it. Everything doesn’t have to have a reason.
7. Ask yourself, will this matter in… 24 hours, 7 days, a month, a year? I know how to make mountains out of molehills until I ask that question.
8. Go outside. Take a walk. Ride your bike. Breathe some fresh air. Nature is frequently the elixir to what ails us.
9. Laugh at yourself. When you are ready to engage your funny bone. Your mishap will make an amusing story someday.
10. Be kind to yourself. Exercise self-compassion. Give yourself a break. You’re human. You will make mistakes. Bunches of them. You really don’t have to be Superhuman no matter what others seem to expect or you expect of yourself. And those other guys. They may look Superhuman, but on the inside, they are just like you.


One more thing. Here’s a hug for you in case you need it. { }
Jodi Crane
play therapist, blogger, creative, mom

1 comment: